***Available from 3 December 2018 on Booknook
An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States.
In a life filled with meaning and accomplishment, Michelle Obama has emerged as one of the most iconic and compelling women of our era. As First Lady of the United States of America—the first African-American to serve in that role—she helped create the most welcoming and inclusive White House in history, while also establishing herself as a powerful advocate for women and girls in the U.S. and around the world, dramatically changing the ways that families pursue healthier and more active lives, and standing with her husband as he led America through some of its most harrowing moments. Along the way, she showed us a few dance moves, crushed Carpool Karaoke, and raised two down-to-earth daughters under an unforgiving media glare.
In her memoir, a work of deep reflection and mesmerizing storytelling, Michelle Obama invites readers into her world, chronicling the experiences that have shaped her—from her childhood on the South Side of Chicago to her years as an executive balancing the demands of motherhood and work, to her time spent at the world’s most famous address. With unerring honesty and lively wit, she describes her triumphs and her disappointments, both public and private, telling her full story as she has lived it—in her own words and on her own terms.
Warm, wise, and revelatory, Becoming is the deeply personal reckoning of a woman of soul and substance who has steadily defied expectations—and whose story inspires us to do the same.₵140.00₵140.00Quick View
Celebrate a milestone in American history:
The election of President Barack Obama
Yes, he did! When Barack Obama became president-elect on November 4, 2008, he transformed Martin’s Luther King’s dream into reality. Obama, and the 66.3 million Americans who voted for him, proved to the world that all things are possible. And the day after, people from coast to coast lined up to buy newspapers as souvenirs. The demand was unprecedented, with stands and stores quickly selling out: USA Today sold an extra 380,000 copies, while the Atlanta Journal-Constitution went back to print five times.
Now, everyone can own a piece of history, thanks to this gorgeous commemorative album of front pages that capture Barack Obama’s extraordinary journey to the White House. Featuring newspapers both domestic and foreign, and depicting all the landmarks in this groundbreaking campaign—including the inauguration—Obama is a stunning keepsake for all who experienced this remarkable moment…and future generations, too.
• The only book to feature five historic speeches as well as front pages of three significant moments: when Obama won the Democratic nomination; when he became the first African-American elected president; and when he was sworn in
• Includes the historic speech “A More Perfect Union,” delivered at Constitution Hall,
Philadelphia, March 18, 2008
· Includes newspapers from both America and around the world, with pull quotes and translations of foreign headlines
· Stunning photos from the nomination and election plus original images of the inauguration shot especially for this book
• An introduction by Howard Dodson, director of the prestigious Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, New York Public Library₵80.00Quick View